The was a glut of goals in last nights Fraternity Club Cup quarter-finals with 23 netted across the four matches. 

The opening match at Crehan Park got off to an unexpected start with a defensive error leading to Scott Muilwyk putting Fernhill a goal up against Bulli. 

An inexperienced Bulli required a touch of class from Mitch Del Turco to get them back in the match with the attacker scoring a brace before half time. 

The Premier League side managed to put out the Foxes’ flame with three second-half goals through Kyle Jackson, Harry Lloyd and Luke Van Zyl – who scored with the last kick of the match.

Bellambi took on Tarrawanna in the second match at the venue and only six minutes would go by before Jordan Grinham put the Rosellas ahead.

Jeff Allport’s side scored their second early in the second period through rookie Sean Molloy, but the Blueys battled back with Cody Jones and Dan Chapman scoring to force a penalty shootout.

The Rosellas won the shootout 3-2 with their Japanese custodian Seiya Miyamoto producing three semi-final-securing saves.

The first match at Macedonia Park was an all District League affair with Thirroul facing Shell Cove. 

The Thunder went two goals up through Robert Gyngell and Tyler Ball before Aleks Najdoski pulled one back, but Thirroul would lead 3-1 at the break with Sohei Oto also getting on the scoresheet.

Shayne Ardle, Tommy Markovski and Nikola Rusic scored to put Shell Cove 4-3 up with five minutes remaining, but a Marcus Rushbourne goal saw the scores level after 90 minutes. 

Shell Cove proved too clinical in the shootout – prevailing 4-2. 

The final match was between the Albion Park White Eagles and Helensburgh – two sides who had won all their matches in the preseason competition.

The Thistle held a 1-0 lead at half time after Brad Watts scored in the 39th minute and the second division side would double their advantage early in the second half through Liam Unicomb. 

Cameron Morgan netted straight from the kick off to get the White Eagles back into the contest but a double for Kade Kinsella – his eighth and ninth goals of the tournament – secured a memorable 4-1 victory for Andrew Paine’s side.

The semi-finals will be played next Tuesday night at Memorial Park with Shell Cove and Helensburgh kick off at 6 pm before Bulli meet Bellambi at 8 pm. 

This draw guarantees a District League club will feature in the Fraternity Club Cup final at Wetherall Park on Sunday week.

By Dylan Arvela, on Twitter @dylanarvela

Photo by Graham Brown

Notice board

OFFICE HOURS: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm

Searching for Clubs?

Find clubs, club contacts, field locations and more in our clubs directory. 


Get social

Upcoming Events