In a must win match for the Foxes, they led twice before being pegged back until a late goal from Kyle Del sealed the result.

It was a lighting start from the foxes when as early as the third minute, Kyle Del linked up with Daniel Swinton on the edge of the box. Swinton shrugged off a defender as he ploughed the ball under Adam Foxall giving the home side the perfect start.

Thirroul almost responded immediately when a lovely ball over the top found Joshua Bond however his left foot strike from seven yards out only found the outside of the side netting.

On 16 minutes, Nathan Mucci found Dean Morosin who snuck in behind the defence however he just failed to control the ball with the goal at his mercy.

It was end to end action and midway through the first half, Thirroul failed to clear their lines after a freekick was floated into the area. The ball fell nicely to David Kotrc who blasted over the bar.

Fernhill were enjoying a strong spell of pressure and on 29 minutes, Del won the ball deep in Thirroul’s half as he once again linked up with Swinton however Foxall did enough to pressure the attacker forcing his shot just wide.

It proved costly as just seconds later, a Thirroul free kick from midfield was flicked on as it found skipper Daniel Bond lurking on the far post as he headed beyond Koju Maruyama to level the scores somewhat against the run of play.

Just eight minutes from the end of the half, a quick throw found Mattias Passlack who drove into the box from out wide. He unleashed a powerful shot that almost found the near post however Foxall denied him with a strong one handed save.

Just before half time, a long ball from Nelson McLeod found Swinton on the edge of the box. As he drove into the box, his progress appeared impeded, and the referee pointed to the spot. Del stepped up and sent Foxall the wrong way to put the home side up once again.

Both teams seemed to take a little while to warm back up in the second half as they each cancelled each other out as neither team was able to muster any meaningful opportunities.

Del managed to pierce the Thirroul defence on midway through the half with some blistering pace and only a deperate lunging block from Todd Davidson denied the Foxes the buffer they were looking for.

Incredibly, it proved pivotal as just two minutes later, a long switched ball found Josh Bond out on the left wing. He took a neat touch before volleying a shot from almost the sideline that caught everyone off guard including Maruyama who could not deny what was a contender for goal of the year. Thirroul found themselves level yet again.

Moments later, Passlack hit the post from close range after a dangerous ball from Swinton was whipped in.

With 12 minutes left, Del slashed the ball narrowly wide from just outside the box as the Foxes started getting desperate.

Time was ticking away as was the Foxes hopes of a League Championship when Aidan Breslin cut inside before playing a ball in behind the Thirroul defence. The ball incredibly missed several flying bodies and somehow bounced the wrong side of the far post.

With just five minutes left and Foxes throwing numbers forward, Thirroul almost found a goal. Mucci played Bradley Strudwick who shrugged off Kurt Foulger before shooting straight at Maruyama. Anything either side of the goalkeeper would surely have been a goal.

The game had one last twist and with just four minutes left, Del was played through on goal. He neatly chipped the advancing Foxall into an unguarded net sending the home side into raptures. It was a well taken goal under pressure.

The finish was enough to see the Foxes home and with just two more rounds to go, the Foxes are hanging tough however Shellharbour still has destiny in their own hands.


Report by Bobby Mazevski
Photos courtesy of gragrapix

Notice board

OFFICE HOURS: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm

Searching for Clubs?

Find clubs, club contacts, field locations and more in our clubs directory. 


Get social

Upcoming Events