A blistering first-half performance from University of Wollongong secured the side the inaugural Illawarra Women’s Premier League Second Grade title against Woonona Sharks, getting up 3-0 at Ian McLennan Park.

Maddy Adams put the side in front four minutes in before Katia Turner bagged a well-taken brace as the pacey duo ran riot throughout the match.

The Unicorns got off to a dream start, opening the scoring within four minutes. Lucy Crighton driving into the right of the box and playing it centrally to Adams who controlled the ball well before slotting it into the bottom left corner.

After this early excitement, the game became end-to-end, with both teams going all out for the next goal.

University nearly had their second just after the half-hour mark as Turner raced in on goal, taking it past Woonona goalkeeper Rosey Tobin-Coldwell, but she couldn’t get it on target from a tight angle.

The Sharks started to build momentum getting into promising areas, but in the 37th minute, University struck again. Turner getting in behind in the box and poking beyond Woonona goalkeeper Rosey Tobin-Coldwell.

Turner nearly scored again three minutes later, receiving the ball in the left of the box but she fired wide of the far post.

Woonona responded to this early pressure as Elizabeth Barr looked to loft the ball into the goal from the edge of the box, it bouncing wide of the right post.

University kept on pushing though, and snatched their third goal with a minute of first-half regular time to play. Turner sprinting in down the right and clipping the ball high into the net.

The league champions went into the break in a commanding position, three goals to the good.

Woonona came out purposefully for the second half, Kailee Moore picking up the ball in the left of the box and taking aim 10 minutes in, with University goalkeeper Kylie Layland catching it at the near post.

The Unicorns got back into their flow after this, and in the 62nd minute, Sophie Boyd reacted fasted to a right-sided corner, volleying onto the left post from close in.

They came forwards again five minutes later, with Jessica Carman’s free-kick from the edge of the box bouncing just wide of the left post.

The Sharks looked to get back into the game 70 minutes in when Kate Moore lined up a shot from the right of the box, but the ball went wide of the right post.

University saw out the remaining minutes to claim a memorable double in the second grade competition.



Report by Timothy Gibson, on Twitter @Timg123_

Photos courtesy of Graham Brown

Notice board

OFFICE HOURS: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm

Searching for Clubs?

Find clubs, club contacts, field locations and more in our clubs directory. 


Get social

Upcoming Events