The Julie Porter Cup semi-finals took place on Sunday afternoon at Myimbarr Park, where we saw both Shellharbour JFC defeat Albion Park White Eagles 3-2, and an eager Woonona Sharks taking home a 2-1 victory over University of Wollongong FC.

Both Shellharbour and Woonona now advance into the grand-final, in what will be a re-match of last year’s Women’s Premier League decider.

Shellharbour JFC 3 Albion Park White Eagles 2

With both teams vying for a spot in the grand-final, both sides came out strong with the match starting as what looked like a battle of midfields.

With several chances in the first ten minutes, it was Shellharbour who took advantage of possession, with Christina Videla finding the back of the net from a shot out wide, for a 1-0 lead.

Nine minutes later, Albion Park would respond through Camille Augustyn who hit a fantastic first time ball off the volley, sending the ball into the top corner.

With the score set at 1-1 in the 23rd minute, Shellharbour’s Madelaine Costanzo showed no mercy, placing a loose ball into the back of the net and giving her side a 2-1 lead before the half-time break.

The match continued to be a tight arm-wrestle as the White Eagles came out firing and capitalised through Jazzie Martin who made no mistake in front of goal, finding the back of the net in the 46th minute.

Both teams continued to battle in the heat, before Shellharbour’s Nikola Wilson pounced on an Albion Park defensive error, slotting the ball into the top left corner.

The two sides continued to prove their strength, but it was Shellharbour who booked their spot into the grand-final, defeating Park 3-2 at the final blow.

Woonona Sharks 2 University of Wollongong FC 1

The second Julie Porter Cup semi-final saw Woonona Sharks take on UOW, in what was expected be a hard fought encounter.

The two teams showed great intensity and determination in an attempt to dominate the midfield, but it was University who capitalised first through Lucy Crighton who would fire her shot accurately into the back of the net, setting the scores at 1-0 in the 18th minute.

Down 1-0, Woonona showed just how strong they can be through Kelsey Clements who received a deflected ball and made no mistake in front of goal in the 35th minute.

Just five minutes later, Clements came close to her second with a header off a corner ball but would be sent away by the hands of Kylie Layland. It, however, wasn’t over for the Sharks when Sinead Bailey would pick up the ball, sending her precise volley into the back of the net for a 2-1 lead.

The second half saw both defence lines stretched, as University looked to level the scores with a chance from Paige Hirst whose shot was however saved just off the line.

In what was a quality game of football, in the end, it was Woonona who prevailed and will face off against Shellharbour in the grand-final.

Notice board

OFFICE HOURS: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm

Searching for Clubs?

Find clubs, club contacts, field locations and more in our clubs directory. 


Get social

Upcoming Events