Woo v Bull

Woonona Sharks were ruthless in attack as they downed Bulli 6-0 at Ocean Park on Monday afternoon in the Women’s Premier League.

Sophie Heath scored a first-half brace, while Jessica Beale also got the scoresheet in a strong opening half from the home side.

Woonona doubled the score in the second half courtesy of Heath securing a hat-trick and Tess Stephens’ brace.

The Sharks took the initiative from the kick off, exploiting the wide areas and winning a corner in the second minute. Emily Franklin’s right-sided delivery floated over Bulli goalkeeper Clair Hillard where Beale tapped it over the line.

Albion Park almost equalised three minutes later when Kallista Shatrov lined up a shot from range that swerved past the left post.

The lively Franklin had been finding space in behind the right channel in the early stages and was released down that side again in the 10th minute. She fired a shot across goal that Hillard managed to get down to.

Woonona had another chance six minutes later when Stephens spun on the edge of the box and hit a quick shot that Hillard caught well.

They made the most of this pressure and grabbed their second goal 19 minutes in. Heath’s wide free-kick looped over Hillard and nestled in the far corner.

The hosts continued to create chances as Beale and Franklin both sent shots wide over the next 15 minutes.

The half got even better for Woonona in stoppage time as Beale added a third goal for the team. She found a pocket of space in the left of the box and unleashed a right-footed shot that spun into the far corner.

The Sharks went into the sheds with a commanding three-goal lead after a well-played first half from the side.

They came out for the second period with the same intensity that they had played the first with and scored a fourth within a minute.

Franklin – who had switched over to the left – slid the ball across the box for Heath, who side-footed an effort into the right side of the goal for her hat-trick.

Two minutes later, Bulli were millimetres away from a goal of their own. Tatum Etherden picked up the ball in the right of the box and struck the near post with her subsequent shot.

Etherden was in again down the right in the 51st minute. A ball from the left came through to the winger, who took a swing at the ball from a tight angle but failed to connect.

Woonona clawed back control of the game soon after as and before the hour mark, Stephens had two shots from similar areas on the edge of the box, but Hillard was equal to both.

Franklin set off on another burst down the left, breezing into the box where she dropped the ball off to Stephens. The midfielder mazed her way past a couple of chances on the edge of the box before her shot dipped narrowly past the right post.

Bulli had a couple of bright spells in the final 15 minutes, putting Woonona under some pressure at the back and forcing turnovers.

And in the 78th minute, Summer Scarra received the ball outside the box and whipped an effort just wide of the left post.

However, two minutes later, Woonona made it five. Phoebe Green drilled the ball across the box from the right by-line for Stephens, who found the net with a simple finish.

The Sharks could have had a sixth in the 87th minute. Green received the ball centrally in the box, facing only Hillard, but the substitute hit the left post.

In stoppage time, Stephens was presented with another opportunity as she raced through on goal, slotting the ball low into the left side of the goal.

Woonona saw out the final moments to secure a big victory at home.

The team travel to Thirroul this Sunday while Bulli host Albion Park White Eagles at the same time.

Match Stats

Report and photo by Tim Gibson, on Twitter @Timg123_










Notice board

OFFICE HOURS: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm

Searching for Clubs?

Find clubs, club contacts, field locations and more in our clubs directory. 


Get social

Upcoming Events