2022 Julie Porter Cup Semi (12)

In an evening fixture for the final round of the Women’s Division 1, the Woonona Sharks and the Kiama Quarriers travelled to Ian McLennan Park on Tuesday night, resulting in a 1-1 draw.

With a goalless first half, the Woonona Sharks were first to find the back of the net with a late goal from Youth Grade player Emily Franklin.

The Sharks however could not secure their lead with the Quarriers finding the equalizer by a well-executed goal from Louisa Glyde just three minutes later.

The two sides stood strong right from the first whistle with a back-and-forth possession game in the first 10 minutes of the match.

The Quarriers were the first to grab a near chance at goal with right-winger Allira Giles-Gregory taking space out wide before sending her shot out for a corner.

Woonona would soon react back with young gun Emily Franklin speeding past her defenders before also sending her shot wide off the far post.

In the 20th minute, Kyah Humphrey accurately sent the ball into the six-yard box where Lindsay McLeod would send hit a flying ball over the crossbar.

Just 10 minutes later, a flood of chances came from Franklin who became unstoppable upfront beating all 4 of her defenders before cutting in on her right side and taking a shot, only to be denied once more by the hands of Kiama’s goalkeeper Christina Werakso.

In the 33rd minute, an intercept from Woonona’s defence line saw Brooke Cassar force her shot out wide for the Quarriers final attacking chance before the break.

A corner ball from a well experienced Nikita Woods was split towards Elyse McNally at the back post whose chance at goal was denied once more.

A frustrating half for both sides saw the two teams head into the break with a goalless first half.

A fast-paced start to the second half commenced with an eager Woonona side eyeing off the goal mouth.

The Sharks center-back McNally sent a precise long ball over the top and into the feet of Humphrey before hitting her attempt straight into the gloves of Werakso.

The 65th minute mark hit, and the score continued to remain at 0-0 with both sides showing an outstanding defensive performance.

70 minutes in, the Sharks were on the attack and found the first goal for the match with an angled ball from the midfield sent out wide into Franklin who would soon neatly place the ball into the bottom right corner of the net for her well earnt goal.

The next three minutes became action packed with the Quarriers immediately retaliating back.

Louisa Glyde took to the midfield with pace before touching past her defenders and taking a long wide shot on the outer side of goalkeeper Simpson, finding the equalizer in the 78th minute of the match.

What looked to be a final’s football match with a goalless first half, both sides travelled back home with a 1-1 draw in a brilliant evening match.


Date: 13 September 2022

Referee: Martin Rowney

Assistant Referees: Ryan Castle and Brooklyn Faucett

Report by Alison Dinh, on Twitter at @alisondinh_


Notice board

OFFICE HOURS: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm

Searching for Clubs?

Find clubs, club contacts, field locations and more in our clubs directory. 


Get social

Upcoming Events