Working With Children Checks

WWCC Policy, Guidelines & Recruitment Guide

WWCC Requirements for Workers  & Volunteers

If you are aged 18 years or over, and work or volunteer with children U18 years, you will need to apply for a Working with Children Check and obtain a WWC Number before commencing the role.

  1. Complete the online application form – see below
  2. Take your email receipt, your proof of identity documents and fee (if applicable) to a Service NSW Centre.
  3. WWCC Screening process commences and once cleared your WWC Number is issued to you.
  4. Your WWC Number is received by email, give your WWC Number to your club (or wherever you are working or volunteering) to verify your WWC Number in the online verification system.
  5. Once your WWC Number is verified you are able to commence working/volunteering.

Further Information for Workers & Volunteers


Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: Who requires a WWC number?

The following persons aged over 18 years are required to obtain a WWC Number and provide it the club, association, branch or referee’s branch they are applying to work or volunteer with:

  • All persons who are in a role working or volunteering with children under 18 years.
  • All persons who will be working or volunteering at an overnight camp, involved in an overnight stay, accommodation or tour with children under 18 years.
  • All coaches and managers working or volunteering with children under 18 years.
  • All technical directors working or volunteering with children under 18 years.
  • All referees, referee coaches and referee mentors (except those under 18 years of age).
  • All administrators working or volunteering in a club etc. that has participants under 18 years.
  • All persons working or volunteering in a club etc. who has access to the Registration Database and/or personal details of participants or members under 18 years.
  • All Directors and Committee Members of clubs etc. with participants aged under 18 years.
  • All Member Protection Information Officers (MPIOs).
  • All persons in any other child related roles working or volunteering with children under 18 years.

Q2:  Do I need a paid or volunteer WWC Number?

Any paid worker,  working with children U18 must apply for a PAID Working with Children Check and their WWC Number MUST end in ‘E’ for employed.

Paid means any form of remuneration such as in cash, in kind, honorariums, allowances, gift vouchers, reduced player fees and any other form of payment.

A Volunteer WWC must be held by persons over 18 who are volunteering with children U18.

Q3:  What if I have a Paid WWC Number but am applying for a volunteer role with children?

A Paid WWC Number applies to both paid and volunteer work.

Q4: What if I have a Volunteer WWC Number but am applying for a paid role to work with children?

You will need to upgrade your volunteer WWC Number to a Paid WWC Number – click here to upgrade you WWC Number

Q5:  How much does a WWCC cost?

  • A ‘paid’ WWC costs $80 and is renewed every 5 years.
  • A ‘volunteer’ WWC is free and is renewed every 5 years.

The $80 fee is paid at a NSW Service Centre when providing proof of ID for your application.

The WWC is free for volunteers, no payment is required when  providing proof of ID at a NSW Service Centre.

Q6: Why do applicants need to attend a NSW Service Centre?

After completing a WWC application online, applicants will receive an APP (application) number.  Applicants must then take their APP Number to a NSW Service Centre and show proof of identification to complete the application process.  Applicants for a ‘paid’ WWC will also be required to pay $80 at the NSW Service Centre.

Q7:   How long after attending a NSW Service Centre will an applicant receive a WWC Number?

Applicants usually receive their WWC Number by email within 7 – 10 days after attending a NSW Service Centre.   Some applications can be processed quicker, while others may take longer if further proof of ID or further information or checking is required.

Q8. What does a WWC Number look like?

  • Paid WWC Number – WWC123456E     (‘E’ is for employed)
  • Volunteer WWC Number – WWC1234567V    (‘V’ is for volunteer)

Q9: How do I change my details with Service NSW for my WWC Number records?

If you need to change the record of your name, gender, contact details or to upgrade from volunteer to paid status, you will need to complete a Change of Details Application with Service NSW – Click Here

Q10: What if a person refuses to provide a WWC number to their club, association, branch or Centre?

Unfortunately, where a person aged over 18 is unable to satisfy the requirements of the NSW Working with Children Check or the FNSW WWC Policy requirements, they are not permitted to work or volunteer in a child related role within FNSW.

Q11:  Why do referees require a Paid WWC Number?

In football, most referees are paid to referee and paid referees are required to hold for a ‘paid’ WWC Number.   Any form of remuneration in return for refereeing is deemed to be payment, including payment in cash or kind, allowances, gift vouchers or other forms of payment.  The requirement to obtain a ‘paid’ WWCC still applies even if a referee claims his/her payments as a ‘hobby’ for tax purposes using a hobby declaration form.  If income derived from refereeing is declared by the individual as taxable income, the cost of the WWCC may be tax deductible but the referee must obtain their own taxation advice in this regard.   Referees who are volunteer referees and receive no payment or remuneration in return for refereeing can apply for a ‘volunteer’ WWC Number.   Referee’s under 18 years of age are exempt and cannot apply for a WWC.

Q12:  Do Member Protection Information Officers need a WWC Number?

Yes, all MPIOs are required to hold a valid WWC Number.

It is a mandatory requirement of FNSW that every club, association and referee branch has at a minimum of one (1) Member Protection Information Officer (MPIO).  Click here for further information – Member Protection Information Officers

Q13:  Can our club or association be audited or fined for non-compliance?

The simple answer is YES.  The NSW OCG regularly audits clubs for compliance with the WWC Check.   The WWCC has been in place since 2000, so there are no excuses for non compliance.

Failure to obtain WWC Numbers from workers and volunteers in child related roles, verify WWC Numbers obtained from your workers and volunteers, and keep a record of all WWC employee and volunteer verifications can result in significant Government fines and a non-compliance notification to NSW Police.

Failure by a worker or volunteer (who holds a WWC Number) to keep their personal details updated in the WWC system can result in a NSW Government fine.

It is a legal requirement that all clubs, associations, referee branches and individuals working or volunteering with children are compliant with the NSW Working with Children Check.

The NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian and Football NSW reserve the right to conduct compliance audits on any club, association, branch, futsal Club, Futsal Centre or referee branch operating under the auspices of FNSW.