Football South Coast clubs had a solid showing in the opening round of this year’s FFA Cup with nine of 14 clubs progressing through to round three.

Coniston where the first side to make it into the next round after they overcame Gunners FC 2-0 at JJ Kelly Park last Wednesday night with goals from Matt Tschentcher and Nik Miceski. 

Coniston will meet the winner for Brookvale FC and West Pennant Hills Cherrybrook – that match was intended to be played on Thursday night but it was washed out.

The following night Wollongong United travelled to The Ponds FC in the Blacktown District and were forced into extra time after a goalless 90 minutes.

Rene Vescio was the match-winner with his goal enough to see United through to an away tie with NPL 4 club Fraser Park which will be played this Wednesday night.

A majority of the local sides were in action in warm weather last Saturday with two of the matches played a Crehan Park.

The first match was between Community League side Coledale and Western Premier League club Panorama FC.

After 90 minutes of end-to-end action, the match was level a 4-4 before Tim Rupprecht scored in extra time to see the Waves through to the next round.

The other scorers for Coledale were Jack Webb, who scored a hat-trick, and Matt Sadler.

The goalscorers for Coledale. Photo: Coledale

The third-tier side’s next match will be on Thursday night at Ian McLennan Park where they will need to be at their best against NPL 3 outfit Bankstown United.

The following match between Cringila and Putney Rangers was another high-scoring affair with the home side romping to a 10-2 win.

Jordan Prentoski scored a hat-trick, Stefano Di Marino and Nick High got two apiece while Shin Takahashi, Jake Webster and Mani Hondroudakis also scored.

It was Cringila’s first-ever win in the Cup and they will take on St Patrick’s FC in round three tomorrow afternoon at Majors Bay Reserve.

There wan a historic victory at Lakelands Oval with the IFS Community Wolves becoming the first side from the fourth division of Illawarra football to win an FFA Cup match. 

The Community Wolves knocked off Nepean Football Association side St Marys 2-1 with Tom McColl scoring the match-winning penalty after Leigh Sunshine netted earlier in the contest.

The minnows will be looking to cause another upset in the next round when they visit St George Premier League club Connells Points Rovers.

Tarrawanna progressed through to round three with a 2-0 win over the notoriously difficult Kellyville Kolts with young gun Brody Page bagging a double.

The Blueys will face Belrose-Terrey Hills Raiders at Ian McLennan Park on Wednesday night for a spot in the fourth round.

The final match on Saturday was an all-Illawarra affair with Bulli playing University at Balls Paddock.

The District League side were without talisman and skipper Doug Woodiwiss but they still put in a strong showing before succumbing to a 1-0 defeat with Luke Van Zyl scoring for the hosts.

Bulli will travel to Holroyd Rangers of the Granville & Districts Soccer Football Association in round three.

The final match of the round was played in atrocious weather at Terry Reserve on Thursday evening with the Albion Park White Eagles beating former NPL side Hurstville City Minotaurs 5-1.

Cameron Morgan picked up a double while Julian Minutillo, Kyle Senior and JC Mack also scored.

The White Eagles have a relatively short trip to Sans Souci FC in the next round.

Unanderra had a walkover into the next round after Horsley Park United forfeited the tie with the Hearts to play Padstow Hornets in round three.

Wollongong Olympic were randomly drawn directly into round three where they will play NPL 3 club Inter Lions.

South Coast Flame also enter in round three with the side travelling to Hensley Athletic Field on Wednesday night to take on NPL 4 rivals UNSW FC.

Along with University, the other local sides to bow out where Kiama, Picton, Albion Park City and Shell Cove

Kiama were the first to fall with the Quarriers drawing 2-2 with Manly Vale before losing 3-0 in a penalty shootout. 

Picton lost 3-2 away to Scots FC, Shell Cove lost 4-2 to Lugarno FC and Albion Park City were thumped 5-0 by Glebe Gorillas with Josh Farquhar scoring three.

By Dylan Arvela, on Twitter @dylanarvela

Photo by Dana Walker

Notice board

OFFICE HOURS: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm

Searching for Clubs?

Find clubs, club contacts, field locations and more in our clubs directory. 


Get social

Upcoming Events